Looking for the perfect TSA-friendly laptop + overnight bag.
I want a single carry-on for quick overnight trips to professional conferences. My requirements in such a bag are:
* TSA-friendly. Ideally the laptop would be scannable in the bag without being taken out at all.
* Large enough to accommodate a 15.4" Macbook Pro, change of clothes, toiletries, cables, Kindle, phone, wallet for a light packer. (I'm definitely not hauling along bottles of shampoo, sneakers and extra pairs of jeans.)
* Small enough that it can fit under most airplane seats.
* Light, so probably not leather.
* Not a rolling bag.
...and here's the one that makes this *hard*:
* Stylish. Please god not all black, and no ballistics nylon kthxbai.
* Ideally the laptop compartment can unzip or unclip into a separate laptop sleeve, so I can bring it to my talks. I'm willing to wiggle on this if the bag looks good enough to bring along when I'm giving a talk.
You'd think there would be a huge market for this kind of bag. Apparently not so much!
Right now I'm using this eBags yoga bag
. It is exactly the right size to fit the stuff I need it to. It is non-ideal because it doesn't have multiple pockets or laptop padding, so I'm a) worried I'll break my laptop, and b) getting through the TSA checkpoint is a huge pain in the neck requiring repacking my bag to get my laptop to fit in again. Plus it's kind of schlumpy looking.
I have seen this previous thread
, but it's two years old and doesn't really cover bags with extra storage space.
My current front-runner is the Tom Bihn Checkpoint Flyer
. It hits my marks from a functional point of view, but I really would prefer something less sporty and more polished. For reference, I love the look of these Zaum bags
I'm looking to spend around $250, but if you know of the absolutely perfect bag and it's a little more, do bring it up.
Thank you, AskMe!