Seeking the state of the art in location-based smartphone apps.

Seeking the state-of-the-art in location-based smartphone (iPhone & Android) apps.

I'd like to survey the field of location-based or locative applications. Apps which interact with or target a particular point in the world, using GPS, or not. I'm specifically seeking tour guide-like apps, like Rama. I'm also interested in augmented reality apps. Finally, if you've had a positive experience with a one-off art installation or custom device, I'd like to hear about that, too. What have you used that's impressed you?

I've seen this and this Many thanks.
posted by Tufa to Technology (5 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
This is an excellent question.

I just recently got Motion X GPS...and I feel there should be something much better out there. Sorry I can't give you a definite product...but you can exclude that one.
posted by hal_c_on at 6:54 PM on May 31, 2011

I'm not sure if you'd call it augmented reality, but I enjoy long walks using Endomondo. It shows my path through the neighborhood and nearby park, elevation, speed and has audible announcements at way points.
posted by forthright at 7:19 PM on May 31, 2011

Google's My Tracks is great for Android.
posted by dobbs at 9:34 PM on May 31, 2011

So little to say on this subject, MetaFilter? I thought you'd have this subject in your pocket.

Here is a blog entry that looks at several interesting location-aware/wayfinding/augmented reality iPhone apps.
posted by Tufa at 10:15 PM on May 31, 2011

I'm an Android user. God, that sounds like a confession.

Anyway, I'm still shocked by just how good Google Maps is for this kind of thing, especially with Latitude enabled so you can see where your friends are. If you're into Geocaching, C:Geo is great. Layar's a pretty decent augmented reality app too.
posted by hnnrs at 11:15 AM on June 1, 2011

« Older My irresponsible father's heal...   |  Science Explanation needed: Tr... Newer »