Chicago/Hyde Park-filter: Good quiet environments for academic work?
May 14, 2011 8:28 PM Subscribe
What would be a fairly quiet locale, with wifi, in Hyde Park (Chicago) to get some work done? I'm not affiliated with U of C, so any network requiring U of C affiliation is out.
posted by andrewesque to Education (10 answers total)
Fellow Chicagoans! (On this blustery, rainy, cold evening in May...but I digress.)
I have some academic-like work that I need to get done; I'm going to be in Hyde Park tomorrow to run an unrelated errand and I'd like to see if I can find a good place to work. I'm not overly familiar with the coffee shops/libraries/bookstores out there, so I thought I'd appeal to the Ask MeFi world. What I'm looking for:
- Establishment with free or free-with-purchase (eg, coffee or pastry or whatever) wifi. As in, I'm not at all affiliated with U of C so anything that requires a U of C login to get online is a no-go.
- Preferably, a fairly quiet locale. In college, I worked best in quiet college libraries; I'm not one of those people who needs, or even likes, loud background buzz to work. I recognize that by dint of my non-affiliation with the university, most of the places suggested will probably be louder coffee places anyway, but I thought I'd mention it.
- Open until 8 pm or so on Sunday.
- Probably obvious with the wifi and all, but not a place with a very minimal number of electrical outlets so I can plug in a laptop.
- Bonus: If it's a coffee shop, a place with good tea! I'm actually more of a tea-person-who-likes-coffee-shop atmosphere. This is by far the least important criterion, however.