DIY bike-in/walk-in movie; help me figure out my options
May 14, 2011 1:23 PM Subscribe
Doing a guerilla outdoor movie showing…lots of options, some good threads on MeFi already, but I need a bit more advice on:
(see inside for more…)
posted by soulbarn to technology (11 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Here are the parameters:
- No ready AC power source
- Need to set up and tear down relatively quickly
- Audience of about 50-100 in a triangular space about 50x50x20
- Possibly concerned neighbors
- Showing is just after sunset; there may still be some light, as well as light from several nearby street lamps.
- Quality criteria: intelligible, but not cinephile or anything close.
- The event is completely free; any expenses would come out of my pocket. I don't have the deepest pockets. I prefer not to ask for donations.
One hour of movie
- Run off a DVD in my Macbook Pro
- Run off a DVD ripped to my Macbook Pro
- Run off a DVD ripped to my iPad
- Have access to a standard, AC-powered projector with VGA and composite in.
- Considering a battery-powered pico projector.
- Have access to a 100" screen (good with the standard projector; would it be OK with the Pico projector)
- Could drape a white sheet over the side of a Uhaul type van/truck
- How big a screen do I really need?
- Could rent an AC PA
- Have access to a high-powered (i.e., not legal, will definitely cover the area) FM transmitter. AC powered.
- For a full AC-power experience, can I run the whole shebang off a standard car cigarette lighter socket with an inverter. Would the car have to be running?
- Is there an inverter capable of running the projector/PA/laptop?
- What about if I run the inverter from the uhaul truck? Would it have a heavier-duty, and therefore (?) more capable battery?
- What about a generator? I know this would work, but my event is such that I'd have to rent it on a Friday and return it on a Monday; that's expensive.
- For an almost AC-power free experience, could I run the iPad and PicoProjector, along with the FM transmitter from a car cigarette lighter with an inverter. That would require multiple FM radios, set up in strategic places, or maybe a bunch of open-doored cars tuned to the proper frequency. I can manage that, but would there be sound issues (like echo?)
- How about (legalities aside) tapping off the bottom panel of a street-light?
If you're curious about my event, by the way, it is a free-to-all walk/exploration of Los Angeles called "The Big Parade." The movie is held Saturday night at the bottom of a public stairway called The Music Box stairs - where Laurel & Hardy filmed their famous slapstick up-and-down piano sequence (that's the film - along with a Three Stooges knockoff - we'll be showing.)
The walk is divided into sections, featuring art, culture, history, and music; if you're in LA, or if you know anyone who might be interested, please let them know about it!