Help for iron deficiency anemia symptoms?
April 21, 2011 10:20 AM Subscribe
Iron deficiency anemia causing sustained exhaustion and fuzzyheadedness. How can I treat the symptoms? (Underlying cause is undiagnosable so far and only worsening.)
posted by sparrows to Health & Fitness (17 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
(Underlying cause is heavy menstrual bleeding that happens for about 35% of my days, globally -- undiagnosed after more than a year of multiple doctors and thorough ultrasounds -- and unfixable so far, even after trying continuous-dosage hormonal birth control for half a year [!].)
Forgetting the cause for the moment, I'm trying to focus on treating the symptoms of the iron deficiency anemia I'm experiencing when I'm bleeding (exhaustion and sleepiness; intermittent fuzzyheadedness and a feeling that I can't really wake up or really focus; constant physical weakness).
- I'm averaging c. 250% of both my iron RDA (via iron pills and foods) and my protein RDA (all via good foods);
- I'm averaging 8+ hours of sleep per night;
- I'm eating enough calories (averaging 1750/day, only about a 100-calorie deficit relative to my estimated baseline) and I'm taking a daily multivitamin;
- I'm only minimally exercising (simple day-to-day walking/etc. is as much as I can do before getting exhausted, which is completely atypical for me);
- I'm a lifelong vegetarian, so proteins/supplements made from bodies are out of the question, although I do eat eggs and dairy; and
- I'm in my early 30s and I'm about 40 lbs above my ideal weight ("overweight" BMI).
(- FWIW, my mom also had very heavy periods and chronic iron deficiency that was uncorrectable with supplements; and her mom had low thyroid, for which I have not been tested [I know I need to see an endocrinologist as a next diagnostic step].)
Please let me know about anything you've found that helped you with anemia OR sustained exhaustion in general. I'm not used to this and it's really affecting my life. Thank you.