Baltimore to English dictionary?

What is Casualty Section as repeatedly referenced in the Wire?

Obviously it's a police department but what do they do and if it isn't obvious why is everyone incredulous that Pryzblewski was assigned there?
posted by Mitheral to Media & Arts (7 answers total)

My guess is it would be for police gunned down in the line of duty.
posted by tumid dahlia at 9:25 PM on April 11, 2011

Never mind, a bit of Googling suggests it is where injured officers go to do desk duty. I thought it might have been like a bereavement department or whatever.
posted by tumid dahlia at 9:27 PM on April 11, 2011

I believe they're referring to the Propery & Casualty Division. They handle insurance claims.
posted by Simon! at 12:01 AM on April 12, 2011

Wait, no, I googled it and I think I was wrong - it doesn't look like police are ever assigned to such a bureau.
posted by Simon! at 12:07 AM on April 12, 2011

I can't find that this has ever been addressed by Simon or anybody. It does not seem to be a real division of the Baltimore PD.

My best reading of the concept behind everyone's disgust is that it may be something like being a victim assistance officer -- a glorified social worker. In other words, nobody who should be transferred to an investigations unit.
posted by dhartung at 12:26 AM on April 12, 2011

According to this Baltimore Sun forum discussion thread, a casualty section in the Baltimore PD was where officers who were long-term injured were placed for desk duty. The thread seems to indicate that the practice may have been phased out in favor of assigning those officers instead to Baltimore's new 311 (non-emergency citizens' services phoneline) service. I'm not sure of the exact timeline portrayed in The Wire, but this *possibly* may be an anachronism in the TV series if the police characters are talking of the casualty section as if it still existed when it had in fact been phased out in the real world timeline.
posted by Bwithh at 1:20 AM on April 12, 2011 [1 favorite]

It's where he worked before he was put in the detail at the beginning of the series, and this thing on wikipedia says: Prez confesses to his father-in-law that his earlier problems had largely been due to dissatisfaction with his traffic police work. He tells him that detailed case work had become his passion and that he wants to continue to work major cases.
So, maybe it was something traffic-related or mundane in that fashion. Like taking accident reports or something.
posted by elpea at 3:57 PM on April 12, 2011

« Older What shoved me down into the b...   |  Ugh. Search is failing me toda... Newer »