Buying a turntable, vinyl record cleaning kit, and vinyl sleeves. Need your recommendations, please.
There are some great suggestions here
, but my budget is around $100-200 for now. The models I'm looking at the moment are:
- Crosley CR49 Traveler Portable Turntable
, because I like the look and the fact that it is portable
- Crosley Mini Turntable
- Victoria GDI-TW3USB 7-in-One Stereo Entertainment Center
, because you can also play cassettes with it.
Are these any good or do you have any other recommendations?
Some thoughts running through my mind:
- Most of my records are classical and jazz. Does it matter whatever model I get? Some guy at the store before was telling me that some turntables are better suited for rock and techno music, but I just don't get it. Does this have to do with the turntable itself or the speakers?
- When I search for models and read the reviews, there would always be people who say the sound is great vs not, and I always wonder if this is more of a matter of audiophiles vs regular listeners. I am just a regular listener, I mean, I know I can't expect *very high quality* given my budget, still I want something that's a good buy.
- Should I forgo the cassette-playing option? I just thought it was convenient, and I do long to play my tapes again. I could always look for a separate CD+cassette player, with AM/FM radio to boot, like this one
. Would having extra features like this compromise the quality/performance of a turntable?
- I am going to place this in my office, which is smaller than an average living room. Should I buy speakers, too or would I be fine with built-in ones?
- Been reading about all this hype on the Crosley brand but also some hate there, too. Is it really any good or should I look at something else?
- Would love a retro look, as this reminds me of the one my grandparents used to have.
Vinyl Record Cleaning Kit
I see these serious looking kits in Amazon and I wonder if one really needs it? Should I buy a brush or would a fibercloth do? Found this homemade solution
that I would like to try to save some money.
Some records that I have are very old and dirty and thought I would replace paper inner sleeves, then as an extra protection buy the plastic outer sleeves. Good idea? How else can I protect them? For now they are stored standing up in a cabinet, secured by bookends to keep from sliding. I thought of buying crates, but they seem more protected from dust if inside a cabinet. What do you guys think?