What's up with Reading Rainbow?
April 30, 2005 7:58 PM Subscribe
The TV Tome entry
for Reading Rainbow is an extended attack on the show and those involved with it. What gives? I never realized the thing was a source of so much controversy.
posted by punishinglemur to media & arts (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
And after reading the whole thing, I still don't understand the controversy.
* What is the "ITV industry"?
* How did the show's main focus become "increasingly more pessimistic starting on Tuesday, September 11, 1990"? Why did this result in the show being "increasingly identified with mood swings"?
* What "outdated material" did the show hold on to for "far too long"?
* How did Reading Rainbow manage to destory the "opportunity for other consistently-good children's television series to enjoy long lives on PBS"?
* What's the meaning of the quote in this paragraph: "And then there who those who blamed PBS affiliates for not picking up consistently-good series for the wrong reasons. Always their conversations would include words to the effect of, "It's a miracle anything gets on the air unmolested because of Reading Rainbow! And you're saying it's my fault?""
* Why is Reading Rainbow described as being a victim of "spectacular self-corruption"?
* What sins did "GPN" commit to deserve this: "Still, it is apparent that GPN, whether it will ever realize it or not (and chances are it won't) did everything in their power not to improve their show or PBS Kids."
* Anything else that helps explain the Reading Rainbow hate...