I was looking at some of the answers in this question
and it brought up a good point. You can't rely on money you haven't received yet.
Here is it in a nutshell. Me and my DH are miserable living here in Illinois. We both have SAD, lived her our entire lives (40 years), in the same area, and well, we're burned out--done it all, seen it all. And this includes for me, applying to the same companies.
We realized that moving to California can be part of a big solution to our happiness. We are getting up there in age, loved it there, and definately want to move somewhere where it's predomenantly warm. We have thought of FL, TX, AZ--more affordable areas--but for me being the primary earner, CA jobs are where it is at for availability and salary.
Our original plan was to use my inheritance and put say $350k on a house to have a low mortgage and be debt free in other areas (no credit cards, possibly no car payment for myself). DH would find work but his salary would be probably $30k and he would restart his own business. We have a 2 year old.
We were investigating areas to live in and with the housing bust and jobs I was looking at applying to, Thousand Oaks area seemed perfect. Homes are going for about mid $400k and with $350k down, we could do it.
But the issue is that my parents are not gone, no inheritance is to be had, nor is the estate in trust. In fact, the will is from 1970 when I was born so it lists guardians, etc. Most of the inheritance is tied up in IRAs and bonds with parents respective beneficiaries. They both know they have to change this to put it in trust, get it settled but it's a constant fight between them. Dad doesn't trust anyone. Mom is just so indecisive on who to trust that nothing gets moved I'm an only child so there is no one else to give it to. And all they want is to make sure my DH doesn't get it (yes, the buying of a home is part of that problem).
I am far from wishing ill health/outcome of them. But the way their health is currently, it's a reality that they will not live 5 years. In fact, my dad's congestive heart failure is returning and worse. My mom's terminal cancer is getting worse. So this is the reality of "wow, they really are going to be gone of this earth." Which leaves me in a whole reexamination of my life. And my life has been do what is expected. Do routine. Do norm. And do not leave IL because they're here. Well if they go, I have no reason to stay anymore.
However, we don't know what probate will bring nor hospice, etc. so that $350k could be a pipedream.
Our current scenario to do it on our own is this. A home that is probably worth $30k profit if that. $16k debt for myself. Husband has established business here but could restart. I have a good paying job here but I'm miserable. Savings? Ha! Don't have one beyond $1k. Just can't save with something always coming up/his low income to balance things out. With the average house going for $450k in CA, I don't expect to have a salary over what I'm making now (low $90s) but am speculating getting one that could be $70-90k and again, speculation based on market average.
So to me, without the inheritance, we can't do it
or can we?
With my parents failing health, I don't think it's right to pick up and move now. And they won't come with (mom might if dad goes first but lets say it won't happen).
The bottom line is I know I need to get out of here. I can wait for the sake of my parents but I cannot hear that there is no way with an inheritance or without one that we can do it.
Am I just being overly fearful and we can do it no matter what?