Help bring music to our home.
March 9, 2011 4:52 PM Subscribe
Stereo advice needed.
posted by ottereroticist to technology (14 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
Our antiquated stereo system is finally giving it up, and we need advice on what to replace it with. Our budget is under $300. Here's what we have:
* Three sets of bookshelf speakers
* Five-disc Sony CD player
* Multiple iPods and iPhones
* Laptops with iTunes libraries
* An AirPort Express
We want to play music throughout the common area of our house (kitchen, living room, and dining room). Sources in order of usage:
* iPod/iPhone streaming Pandora or playing MP3s
* Laptop playing MP3s or audio downloads
* Can an amplifier drive three sets of small speakers directly, or do we need some other component?
* Is there an all-in-one bookshelf-sized unit that meets our needs with a smaller footprint than our old full-sized multi-component system?
* Is there some way to send music from an iPhone or iPod Touch using the house network and the AirPort Express?
* We're not big consumers, but we do plan to use this stereo for a long time to come. Is stereo equipment something that makes sense to buy used?
Thanks audio mavens!