I need a "stuck in the school library" hobby.
March 2, 2011 11:55 AM Subscribe
I'm looking for a project that can be done mostly on the computers at my school. I'm usually there for 8-9 hours waiting for a ride, and my schoolwork takes me around an hour to finish. I'd like to put the rest of that free-time towards something productive.
posted by biochemist to sports, hobbies, & recreation (23 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
I'll be using the school computers so I can't download any programs, but I do have flash drives to cart stuff around. I could probably borrow a laptop from a friend if absolutely necessary, but I'd like to try to avoid the complication of only being able to work on it when I can borrow something.
I wish I could give examples of what I'm looking for but I'm not sure myself. Just some type of long-term project with an end-goal that I can make measurable progress on while I'm sitting here all day. The project doesn't really -have- to involve computers, but space outside the library can be limited at times so I'm not sure how a physical project would work out.
I'll list my interests just in case, but feel free to disregard them b/c I'm up for trying new stuff too:
- I love problem solving. I also <3 math.
- I like things that I can build upon and I like working towards an end product.
- Umm... yeah, I can't think of any other interests that actually translate into something that can be done with computers.
Things I'm not interested in:
- Reading (Did this with all my free time in highschool and don't want to go back. x.x)
- Learning an instrument (I'm already learning one but it's too big for me to lug around to all my classes.)
- Writing (see the note on reading)
- Academic endeavors (like the online learn math sites, learning a language, etc. I don't mind learning new skills to do an actual project-like thing, but I don't want to, for example, learn calculus just for the sake of it.)
- Photography (I already do this.)
- Puzzles and cranes