Helps up plan our first real vacation!
February 10, 2011 4:47 PM Subscribe
Hooray, we're taking our first "big kid" vacation to New York City for a week! ...um, what now? (March 13-19 edition)
posted by joshuaconner to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (20 answers total) 26 users marked this as a favorite
I have family in NYC, and have been there many times, but it's her first time. We've both been talking about this trip for a really long time, but now that it's actually happening I think we're both kind of feeling paralyzed about what we should, you know, do while we're there. What we do know:
- Flight and room are paid for — we're staying in an apartment in the Bowery we found on AirBnB — and we have about $2500 set aside for everything else.
- Obviously some time will be spend visiting family; my grandmother lives in Bayside, one uncle and aunt in King's Park, another in Jersey City (but who works in the Financial District I think?), and 7839478923 cousins and assorted other family members. Possibly (probably?) this will happen all at once (i.e. we won't be going to Long Island one day, New Jersey another day, Queens another day, Connecticut another day, etc.)
- We're both pretty jazzed about food and cooking, and we'd like to eat some totally awesome meals while we're there, including a fancy meal or two (Daniel, Momofuku, Eleven Madison Park, Per Se, others?). But also, you know, a really good slice of New York Pizza, a great New York bagel, some authentic Chinese food and/or dim sum... I think those are my big three; maybe Caroline will pop in with some other stuff.
- We talked about a show, but I don't think we want to see a show just to see a show. I could totally get behind an awesome one though! I loved LOVED "Gutenberg! The Musical" and the Blue Man Group, really enjoyed "Company" and "Avenue Q", and was just okay with "The Lion King" and "Bring in the Noise" if that helps. She also really enjoys watching "Masterpiece," so stuff in that vein could be good.
- Museums are sweet. In past visits, I have really enjoyed PS1, the Morgan Library, an exhibit of Van Gogh drawings at the Met, and MoMA. I was expecting to really enjoy the Cooper-Hewitt last time I was there, but I didn't at all. (The whole reason I even went to PS1 last time I was in NY because I saw this Olafur Eliasson retrospective at MoMA that totally hooked me so I went to PS1 to see the rest and then PS1 wound up being the highlight of my trip.)
- It's her first time in NY. Is any typical NY-touristy stuff worth doing? The Empire State Building? Statue of Liberty?
- Shopping: She wants to look at wedding dresses at a few places while we're there. I was thinking of stopping by Self Edge or Blue In Green and picking up some new jeans. I'd consider hitting some thrift store if they're awesome. She likes to knit, so a yarn store could be cool.
- Shows? Are there some awesome shows we shouldn't miss? I saw the IRL threads about the two Godspeed shows, but we've never really gotten into them...
Of course, now that I've written this all out, it already seems like kind of a full trip! But we'd still love your suggestions!