A child's history of racism in the US

Looking for a young adult reader that focused on the history of racism/oppression in America published in the 1990's.

*It had your basic young adult reader format: a short story followed my five or six reading comprehension questions. Only all of the stories had to do with the oppression of various groups throughout American history: three or four stories about Blacks in various regions, but also Native Americans, Catholics, Jews, Hispanics, Chinese, and probably a few others. The stories would be about a single person and the difficulties they faced.

*Stories were listed chronologically, with the last one being about the beating of a gay man in the 1980's.

*My class used it when we were about 10-12, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was meant for an older age group.

*I remember thinking it was new in the mid-90's, so probably published between 1990 and 1995?

*I think it might have had interlocking hands on the cover?

Anybody have any idea what I'm talking about? I've tried googling it, but can't find anything. My boyfriend is having a hard time imagining that my teachers were awesome enough to give this to us, and I want to prove it exists.
posted by dinty_moore to Education (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Call the school. Someone there has at least one of those books on their shelf, or in a box.
posted by hal_c_on at 1:09 AM on February 5, 2011

Was it a magazine format? I remember something like this that had Leo Frank's story in it as well.
posted by liketitanic at 7:13 AM on February 5, 2011

And this would have been 1995.

Liketitanic-I think it was staple bound, if that's what you're asking.

I'll try calling the school on Monday.
posted by dinty_moore at 8:20 AM on February 5, 2011

i think i know what you're talking about, except i'm pretty sure the last story in the one i'm thinking of was about the crown heights riots.
posted by liketitanic at 11:15 AM on February 5, 2011

Was it this?
posted by liketitanic at 11:17 AM on February 5, 2011

Yes, that was it! It must have been an earlier edition-it's possible that one didn't include the Crown Heights riots story (or maybe I misremembered the order-it's been fifteen years!). I must have been totally wrong about the cover, though.
posted by dinty_moore at 5:55 PM on February 5, 2011

« Older How can I make my eyes hold! d...   |  YANMD: Please help me with imm... Newer »