Strange woodstove question: Occasionally, there's a little shower of sparks that flies off the
surface of the stove. What's going on?
I have an older Lange woodstove just like this one
, except with flat black surface rather than enamel. It is in its second season in my house, but was bought used and fully rebuilt from a professional rebuilder. Chimney sweep came last fall and pronounced it in good shape and correctly installed. I've burned about 1.3 cords since that chimney cleaning, all well-seasoned hardwood.
Lately, every few days I have noticed a little shower of sparks that emanates from the back curved surface of the stove, which faces a brick wall and the stove sits on a fireproof pad, so the sparks dissipate harmlessly. The stovepipe is tight and I can see no cracks or holes anywhere. The sparks are like what you might get from a sparkler, they're not big flying embers; the whole thing is like a two-second burst at a rate that's maybe 20% of a typical sparkler output. I spend a lot of time in the room with the stove and have noticed this about 3 times in 10 days.
The stove is not particularly hot when this happens — stovepipe temperature gauge showed only 250 degrees 3 feet above the stove during the last instance. Usually we burn it a bit hotter than that. I did not notice this happening at all during the previous winter of use.
Anyone ever experience this? Any theories? Could it be just bits of paint on the surface that are reacting somehow?