Protein Shakes 101
January 30, 2011 2:08 PM Subscribe
Protein Shakes 101: Give me your protein shake/smoothie tips, tricks, advice and recommendations, especially the best, most delicious recipes you have.
I got a Magic Bullet for Christmas, and have recently started using it to make protein shakes for breakfast. So far, I've just used some chocolate powder from my supermarket with some 1% milk and banana. It's tasty, but I wouldn't mind changing it up each day. Also, I've ordered a bunch of samples so I can try different protein powders, but would love to hear your favorites, and ones you thought sucked. Finally, anything else I should know as I embark on my protein shake journey, like:
- Soy vs. whey vs. other - what's the difference and why do I care?
- Blending with milk vs. water - is there a big flavor difference, and is it worth the nutrition/calorie difference?
- What fruits work best in a shake? What veggies can I blend in for better nutritional value without affecting taste? What else can I add that may be "outside the box" or not that well known? (PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter would be a good example of the last)
- Best way to add fiber to my shake? The Psyllium Husk canister warnings were a little scary...
- Best websites (or other sources) for shake recipes, ordering powders, reviews of powders and stuff? I know of netrition.com or vitalady.com for powders; are there other good ones?