Two non-competing companies with the same name
January 24, 2011 3:53 PM Subscribe
What are the legal implications of giving a company the same name as a company in a different business?
posted by roll truck roll to law & government (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I'm starting a very small (as in, I'll be the only employee and I don't expect to make money on it) literary publishing company. I've decided, as sort of a meta-joke, to name the company after an existing one. About this company:
- It has a name of the form, [street name] [business type]. Let's call it Bluxome Flowers (but that's not it).
- Bluxome Flowers doesn't do anything literary or artistic.
- Bluxome Flowers doesn't have any "cool" connotations. It's not like I'm trying to name my press Hotel Chelsea Books or something like that.
- There is more than one Bluxome Flowers in America. As far as I can tell, they are not connected to each other in any way.
- I've registered the domain name bluxomeflowers.com. It's not on archive.org, so I assume I'm the first person ever to register it.
Is there any danger in doing this? The silliness of it (confusing Google results, etc.) is part of what's appealing to me about it, but I can't imagine it having any adverse effect on the real Bluxome Flowers. Will anyone sue me?