Fire risk of bathroom candle
January 23, 2011 8:24 AM Subscribe
Fire safety filter: My husband thinks that a lit candle left unattended on the back of our toilet in the bathroom is not a fire hazard, and I disagree. Please help us settle this argument with facts and figures.
posted by frecklefaerie to Home & Garden (76 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
We have a candle on top of the toilet that is lit for odor control purposes. There have been a couple instances where he has left a candle going and then left the house, and it has been only chance that I later discovered it and blew it out (before leaving the house myself in these cases). I think that he should make sure to not leave the candle lit, and he says that it isn't a fire hazard.
He doesn't know what could catch fire, since the candle is 3.5 feet off the floor on ceramic, with tiles for the next two feet above it, and no curtains or towels within a foot. Seems perfectly safe to him, and he says that if a candle were left to burn all day, we would come home to a pile of wax.
I don't think either of us understand fire science well enough to know what exactly could go wrong, and that it is wise to follow that best practice, "Never leave a burning candle unattended."
Please give me information as to whether or not he is, well, playing with fire, and whether I am being overly cautious.