Mother and Daughter Etsy Shop!
January 3, 2011 10:51 AM Subscribe
My mom and I are opening an Etsy shop. Yay! Can you offer us some tips and answer some questions?
posted by two lights above the sea to Work & Money (14 answers total) 43 users marked this as a favorite
My mother is a very talented knitter and crocheter. She can make anything from delicate baby clothes, to stylish infinity scarves, to soft afghans. I would be the manager of the shop, as her computer/photography/internet skills are lacking.
1. What knitted products sell best on Etsy year-round?
2. I offered to take 10% of what she makes over $2-300. Is that reasonable? Depending on what she creates, can we expect to make more than that in a month?
3. How important is it to do custom work? Is that where the money is?
4. Right now the plan is for her to make 10-20 things that are sellable (see question one!) once a month, then each month I'd trek up to her house (about an hour away), take professional-looking photos using my DSLR, and put list them in the store all at once. Next month, repeat the whole process again. Is it better to have a steady flow of work going up instead? I know that Etsy has a section on their front page dedicated to things that are newly listed. Is that a section that a lot of customers use when making purchases?
5. Do you foresee any problems with me being an hour away from my mom as far as running the shop is concerned? I am always able to reach her, so communication isn't an issue, and my mom is perfectly capable of packaging and mailing things out. She also works at a craft store, so she has access to everything she'd need at a discount, so that's not an issue, either.
6. What about taxes and business laws and licenses? What do we have to do as far as that stuff is concerned? We're in PA.
If you have any other general advice about being a seller on Etsy, let me know. We're still trying to think of a name, so if you have any clever ideas, do tell. One that I thought of was "Busy Bee Knittery". If it's relevant to name-choosing, my mom's name is Kelly and my name is Elizabeth/Liz. TIA!