Pick me up!
November 29, 2010 5:24 PM Subscribe
Cheer me up, mefites! I need a good laugh.
posted by backwards compatible to Grab Bag (73 answers total) 90 users marked this as a favorite
Sadly, life has been kicking me around a bit lately. I'm working my way through it, but I need some laughter to give me strength. I've seen some similar threads around here, but I have a few specific requests for books, movies, and TV shows -
Things I love:
- Cozy mysteries - I cannot get enough of these things. Elizabeth Peters, Alexander McCall Smith, Agatha Christie, etc.
- Funny or interesting books of trivia, history or lists.
- Cute stories about animals (no dying allowed!)
- Humorous sci-fi or fantasy, like The Middleman, The Eyre Affair, or Terry Pratchett
- General comedy that is older, or of an old-fashioned sensibility. There's a gentleness to some of the older comedies of manners that I have found very comforting lately.
Things I am not looking for:
Dark comedy or satire - normally I love it, but I recently sat down to watch the Daily Show and wound up bawling over the sad state of politics in the US. Pathetic, really.
Annoying romance - I am not opposed to a romantic plot line at all, but I'm not a fan the "spunky airheads and the brooding meatheads who adore them" genre.
Stories of people who triumph over terrible adversity - I would probably just start crying again, really.
That's about it. Hit me with all your ideas, and thanks in advance!