Help me prepare for a month backpacking in Europe
October 27, 2010 12:26 PM Subscribe
Please help me plan a month long backpacking trip through Europe. I've never done this sort of this before for this long and I need even the most basic tips as regards travel of this nature.
posted by deafmute to Travel & Transportation (21 answers total) 20 users marked this as a favorite
I need specific advice and general tips regarding traveling like this. I've been through London, Paris, and Barcelona, but never by myself and never for this amount of time. My plan currently is to get a monthlong Eurail Pass, fly into Paris, visit with some friends, and then head east to Budapest, from there loop back around into Italy, and then back to Paris. This schedule will be adjusted as I start to plan the particulars. I need lots of general questions answered, however:
- I'm still pretty confused as to how exactly a Eurail pass works. Is it worth it? I'm planning on doing a lot of rail travel, so it seems like it, and I currently have no idea how to price out individual tickets. What's my best bet for planning and reserving train tickets? Any general tips for long term train travel and avoiding things like robbery and organ harvesting?
- What's the best way to research and reserve hostels?
- What's the best way to keep in touch with people at home? I've got an iphone, so I'm planning on using Skype when I've got a wireless connection and in emergencies, but should I pick up a cellphone when I'm there?
- After looking at several travel threads, it seems I should get a sleep sack and a travel towel, two things I didn't know existed. Are there brands and features that people swear by? The choices at this point are a little overwhelming. I've got myself a clothesline too, a good backpack, comfortable shoes, and a money belt. Is there anything else that Mefi travelers swear by? Should I invest in a decent multitool?
- I'd like to carry one comprehensive guidebook with me. Is there any that you guys really love?
- I'm a half decent cook. What are some group pleasing recipes I could use to make friends with my fellow hostel people?
Any other tips or advice from people who have done similar things would be really appreciated. Thanks!