To make a man happy...
August 9, 2010 5:02 PM Subscribe
Someone I care for deeply is splitting up with his wife and moving into his own apartment. They have been together for 8 years, and he was married before as well, so he hasn't lived on his own very much in his adult life. I'd like to send him something incredible.
posted by nosila to Home & Garden (9 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Here are the pertinent factors:
1. I am pretty broke. The gift needs to be homemade or very cheap.
2. He's a 44-year-old jazz musician, composer and teacher.
3. He loves amazing food/booze.
4. He doesn't love knick-knacks unless they have sentimental value. (This one would since it's coming from me.)
5. He's a gourmet cook.
6. He's well-read/loves books.
7. He currently lives in a large town in the Midwest.
I've thought of a few things: a great cocktail set (maybe too expensive, but who knows?), the perfect book with a note inside, a fantastic can't-live-without cooking gadget that he probably won't have when he moves, etc.
But, I thought I'd ask the hive: any ideas?