Moving to the Quad Cities, IL/IA. Recommendations?
July 20, 2010 7:33 PM Subscribe
My husband and I are moving to the Quad Cities, Illinois/Iowa and we need some recommendations. He grew up there, so we are familiar with general geography and institutions like Jim's Ribs, Whitey's ice cream, and Maid-Rite. But he hasn't lived there since high school-- we need a realtor, neighborhood suggestions, doctors, etc. My Google-fu has given me plenty of lists but I'd like info from real people.
posted by scarnato to Grab Bag (5 answers total)
The Mr. and I are both in our early 30's, no kids yet but thinking of having some soon-ish. If you have recommendations for any (or all!) of the following, please let me know. Thanks, MeFites!
- Iowa vs. Illinois: Do you have a strong preference for one side of the river or the other? My husband grew up on the Illinois side, but we're willing to consider both sides based on factors like neighborhoods, schools, shopping, property taxes, and whatever else you can think of.
- Neighborhood: Would you recommend any particular areas for us to live? What do you like about them?
- Real estate agent: We'd like someone who can work in both states and help us make that decision.
- Home improvement contractors: We are willing to buy an older place and do some updates as needed, like kitchens and bathrooms, but nothing super huge. I'd love to have some names of high-quality reliable people to keep in mind as we househunt.
- OB/GYN: Please recommend a doctor or a practice for me, someone who treats the couple as full members of the team rather than just people who should shut up and do as told. Bonus points for practices that include midwives!
- Catholic parish: I'm looking for one that is welcoming, has an active parish community life, and recognizes that there is a stage of life between single and mommy. (My current parish has a singles group and a mommy group-- I don't feel like there is a place for us.)
- What else am I missing?