Give me advice on selling used furniture on Craigslist.
July 16, 2010 1:43 PM Subscribe
I have furniture. I would like to convert it into small amounts of money, with the assistance of some guy named Craig. What do I do?
posted by madcaptenor to Work & Money (31 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
I have some furniture. I don't want it any more, because I'm moving cross-country. Since I'm going to have to get some new (or at least new-to-me) furniture on the other end, it would be nice to build up a small fund that I could use to do so.
Some friends have offered to take some of it off my hands, in exchange for small amounts of money. But my friends keep changing their minds, and I'm moving in two weeks, so I'm starting to think that Craigslist is the way to go.
What should I know about selling furniture on Craigslist? I've never bought furniture from Craigslist; what I have now is a mixture of new from IKEA (well, five years old) and hand-me-downs from my parents.
- any tips on pricing? I've browsed Craigslist trying to figure this out, thinking that I should price similarly to other people, but prices seem to vary widely for apparently similar items.
- do I give out a phone number, or just an e-mail address?
- one post for all the items, or individual posts for each item?
- are people going to say that they'll come to see the furniture and then change their minds?
- if someone buys something, how much "help" am I supposed to give them in getting it out of my apartment/into their car?
Any other advice would also be appreciated.
I'm in Philadelphia, if this makes a difference.