Help me remember the name of this book?
June 28, 2010 6:12 PM Subscribe
Help me identify this novel that I read as a teenager?
posted by thecaddy to media & arts (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
So I've been trying to figure out the name of this sci fi novel for ages. I read it back in the early nineties, borrowing it from a surprisingly ample Science fiction section of a beach town library. I remember a surprisingly large number of details, such as:
* While the book is in English, the characters are all really speaking Spanish.
* The ships are spheres, and they split in half with tethers and spin to provide gravity when not under thrust.
* The main method of travelling through space is to use a network of satellites that transport ships across the universe. The ships choose their destination by flying past beacons in a certain way before reaching the transporter, and the beacons are each marked by their own color--red, blue, green, down to radio waves and up to ultraviolet.
* Humanity only has the coordinates for one or two systems, but this one captain decides she (I think?) will try and find whatever race built the network.
I don't remember it being a particularly good book, but it's always irked me that I can't remember who wrote it or what it's called. The details I have are not particularly google-ble, either.
Some other details:
* I think the novel is from the 70s, though it could have been from the 80s, I suppose.
* I read it in hardcover.
* Returning to the library recently, they didn't have it anymore.
* I thought Poul Anderson wrote it, but it doesn't seem to match anything in his bibliography.
Any help in tracking this book down would be greatly appreciated. Thanks