USB Thumb Drive as MP3 Player?

Hello! I'm looking for a simple solution to turn my 64GB USB Thumb Drive into a portable MP3 player. Nothing fancy, simple display, controls, and small screen. I have Microsoft Sync in my new car, and a laptop that I travel with. Seems like it would be easy to keep all my mp3s on one thumb drive and take it with me rather than having multiple copies floating about on all devices. There used to be an old Lexar & I believe a Sandisk product that allowed for this. Anyone aware of anything more recent or that supports all 64GB? Thank you in advance. PS. My USB drive is not one of those fancy encrypted ones, so it works in every device I've tried it in.
posted by hussmanne to Technology (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I have Microsoft Sync in my car, too, and you can just plug in a USB thumb drive to the USB connection in the car and it plays the tracks directly from it, complete with voice command control for changing tracks, artists, playlists, etc.
posted by The World Famous at 4:45 PM on June 22, 2010

It sounds like you're basically looking for an mp3 player with USB host capabilities. I don't have any remotely recent device recommendations, but maybe that'll help your googling.
posted by jjb at 5:05 PM on June 22, 2010

Portable apps has a few music players included. You also get a few other tools that will not use up too much of your 64 GB ( try not to lose it )
posted by stuartmm at 10:00 PM on June 22, 2010

Thank you, I am currently using the drive to play tracks in the car, but I also wish to use it as a portable MP3 player when I'm not driving and/or when I don't have my computer handy. Just a simple player with headphone jack, start, stop, pause, small lcd etc.

Thank you!

The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.
posted by hussmanne at 11:08 AM on June 30, 2010

Any ideas? Hope someone has one. Thank you again.
posted by hussmanne at 6:57 PM on July 8, 2010

« Older We are about to host our fourt...   |  PC randomly freezing after upg... Newer »