Back in the Burgh!
April 6, 2010 4:12 PM Subscribe
Brief homecoming to Pittsburgh: what fun, awesome things have I missed?
posted by amicamentis to Travel & Transportation around Pittsburgh, PA (17 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
I grew up in Pittsburgh but haven't lived there for six years. I'll be home for a week with my boyfriend from May 18-26, and need wonderful, cheap suggestions of things to do. Since I left when I was 18, I didn't really get to experience all of the out-of-the-way things that the city has to offer - didn't go into a ton of neighborhoods except the South Hills, no drinking, no clubs.
What I have done are the basic Carnegie museums and Oakland explorations. What I want to know is: what have I been missing? I've only been back for short stints and I am sure there is much to be seen! Driving up to an hour is okay.
Things I've already liked:
- Those free art galleries downtown
- Brillo Bar
- Charlie Murdoch's
- Tour-Ed Coal Mine
Things I would like, ideally:
- are there any neat farms or vineyards near Pittsburgh that do tours, or are generally awesome and worth visiting?
- how about the best bars? I love cheap drinks and funky decor (we're coming from NYC so really anything is cheap)
- horseback riding? Animal farms? Bison pens? We plan on going to the zoo and seeing the new aquarium
- we're both fairly athletic and would be up for nature stuff or bike riding
Any suggestions welcome, even potentially lame ones! We don't have a ton of money but are willing to spend for fun experiences.