What do I need but don't know I need?
March 26, 2010 8:18 AM Subscribe
What really cool photographs am I NOT taking by having a Canon Digital Rebel XTi, and what features do newer models have that I will love do I not know I'm missing?
posted by arniec to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (15 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
I'm a hobbyist photographer. I took some photography classes in high school and college (back with real FILM, ahh the smell of the chemicals), learned my rule of thirds, etc. And after a trip to Spain I got really into photography. Most of my photographs end up looking like postcards, but that's more a problem with talent and artistry than equipment.
I would say my photography is split mostly between "product photography" (I run a web site devoted to toys, so I spend a lot of time photographing them in a set-up with studio lights) and "travel pics" (bridges, buildings, monuments, etc.)
Of course there are a few portraits here and there, some friends asked me to take their Christmas Card photo, etc. but this is perhaps 5% of all photos, the above comprising the other 95%.
A few years back for Christmas my wife gave me a Digital Rebel XTi (A huge upgrade from the Sony F707 I had been using). I got some Canon IS lenses, a 28-135mm and a 70-300mm IS lens.
My wife has now really gotten into using my XTi and wants us to get another DSLR camera so we're not sharing. We want to stick with Canon for lens compatibility...but we aren't sure what to get.
Some things I would like: The XTi's 10 megapixel size is limiting the size of prints I can get made (much of our house is decorated with photos we have taken).
Also it has been frustrating in the past that the XTi will not allow me to use the LCD as a viewfinder. There are rare occasions that I would want that, but sometimes there are objects very high or very low that I wish I could see on the LCD vs having to just point-and-hope.
I'm looking at the Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i but I wasn't sure if there were some mega-cool features in, say, a Canon’s EOS 50D or some other model that I need but don't know I need.
Tips and suggestions appreciated!