I've seen this question
and this question
, and, while they overlap partially with my own queries, they don't address exactly
what I'm after.
I bought a PS3 recently because our old DVD player crapped out, and I wanted a good, reasonably priced Blu-Ray machine. The PS3's ability to play games was a nice little bonus.
Now that I have the machine properly (HDMI/optical) hooked up to a nice TV and a good stereo system, and have been futzing around with it, I am beginning to understand that this is a really powerful device with tremendous media-server capacities. I'm very impressed with the thing.
So far, I know how to:
- play games
- watch DVDs and BDs
- surf the web
- stream movies to the PS3 via Netflix
- download games, etc., from the PlayStation Network
- mess around with PlayStation Home (which I find very silly, but maybe there's something I haven't realized about it yet?)
- access the "Life with PlayStation" features, like the "news from around the world" thing and the Distributed Computing (which I love).
So now I'm wondering how I can "get the most out of" the PS3. By which I mean:
- I'd like to watch shows from Hulu.com on the PSP. I realize there are difficulties with this, but am not sure of the work-arounds.
- Is there any further use for PlayStation Home?
- How do I enable other nifty features of Life with PlayStation? This feature seems to me to have some potential.
- How do I set up this machine to be a media server? I ask this not knowing entirely what a media server is. I understand that I can view photos, listen to songs, etc. What else?
- If I were the kind of person who downloaded Torrent files of movies or TV shows, would I be able to view said Torrent files, via the PS3, on my TV? Hypothetically, of course.
- Suggestions for games (many of which have been made in those other two threads) are welcome, too. Especially the kind that you play online with pals. (Wanna play PS3 games with me online? Lemme know!)
Basically, what do YOU do with your PS3? I'm not looking for "hacks" per se, but ways in which you've found this device to be useful.
Related, somewhat more specific, questions:
- I have a PSP, as well, and have "paired" it with the PS3. But I'm not 100% clear on what this allows me to do. Can I now use the PSP as a second controller for PS3 games, e.g.?
- Now that I've signed up for the PlayStation Network, I get these annoying, scrolling advertisements at the top right corner of the screen. I can't figure out how to turn these off. Can you?