I've never had an LCD monitor and need help choosing one. Confused by information overload and conflicting information.
I am looking for an LCD monitor around 22" (from 20-24" would be acceptable) and under $250, though honestly I'd be more comfortable closer to $200. DVI is fine and I don't care about built-in speakers, cameras, etc. The most intensive games I'll be playing (that are out as of right now) are The Sims 3 and Tomb Raider Underworld, but I'll be using it for work and web browsing as well. Energy Star certification or an equivalent is appreciated.
I've read so much conflicting and confusing information. I'm swimming in terms like IPS and TN. (I looked up what these mean, of course, but most monitor spec pages don't indicate TN and the like.) I won't be doing any serious color work so I guess TN is okay. I've read that I should get a TFT LCD. I've read varying things about how important (and conversely useless-in-judging-motion-blur) response time is, especially for gaming (5ms or better seems to be desirable). I've read that I should get a monitor with 96 dots per inch or more.
I've read that Samsung and LG are great monitors but then when I look up these monitors, for any given one, about 75% of the reviews are great, while the remaining 25% are awful. I've also seen Acer and Viewsonic recommended, but those tend towards an equal mix of positive and negative reviews. I realize there are always faulty products, but I can't seem to find any outstanding monitors in the mid-price range.
, a lot of people recommend Dell, but don't say why. I've never owned a Dell product; can someone tell me why their monitors are recommended?
Please help with the information overload, and recommend a great monitor?