Golfer's elbow? But I've never been on a golf course.
January 25, 2010 10:39 AM Subscribe
What can I do about my possible golfer's elbow?
Since October, I have been having bad wrist and elbow pain. I saw my doctor twice before my health insurance ran out, and he said it was tendinitis. He gave me a prescription for extra-strength ibuprofen, and that was it. He didn't examine me either time--just poked at my arm and declared a generic diagnosis.
The pain disappeared for a bit--about two weeks--in December, then came back with a vengeance. Now I am in more pain than ever.
Unfortunately, I don't have a doctor any more. I may be able to get health coverage in the near future, but that will be two to three months at the least. The office is busy.
Despite my lack of athletic movement, I believe that I have golfer's elbow. My inner elbow hurts, as does the knobby bone at the outside of my right wrist. It also hits the carpal(?) above the knobby bone. Pain is mostly in my wrist (especially when bending) and shoots up my ring and pinky finger. Although my elbow pain is minimal, I believe that the pain around that area is the ultimate source. I could have inadvertently injured my wrist while caring for my elbow.
I need the use of my hand. Any sort of job that I'm qualified for involves intensive typing. All of my hobbies are very hand-focused. This is a huge quality of life issue for me.
Here's what I'm doing to heal:
1) Limiting hand use. I need to type, but video games, art projects, and sewing are out.
2) Taking magnesium, glycosamine, B6, and B-complex.
3) Drinking water to hydrate the tendons.
4) Gentle stretches, not enough to cause pain. I do a prayer pose, flex my hand back and forth with arm extended, and other things I've found on various sites.
5) Frequent icing. I've started doing "ice massage" with ice cubes, and it feels nice.
6) Massage along the length of the tendon, from elbow to pinky.
7) Soaking the area in hot water at least once a day.
8) Sleeping with my arm elevated.
What else can I do to heal while I wait out my chance to visit the doctor? Is there anything I'm doing that sounds wrong? Does my problem seem like golfer's elbow, or am I barking up the wrong tree? Can you recommend any other vitamins or minerals to take?
I'm feeling really frustrated and hopeless! Thank you for any help you can give.