Temporary dog house
January 14, 2010 10:12 AM Subscribe
What is fostering an animal like?
posted by sickinthehead to Pets & Animals (16 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
I've been toying with the idea of fostering an animal as a way to help out. I already have 2 cats and a German Shepherd, so I don't want to adopt on a permanent basis. I guess I have just general questions about how the experience goes, like:
- is there a rigorous approval process to become a foster home? What's it like?
- who takes care of vet bills?
- is there any sort of compensation for daily upkeep?
- if someone wants to adopt the animal, do I have to allow them into my home to interact with it?
- is it really hard to give up the animal in the end?
- do you think it would be psychologically damaging to me/my pets/the foster animal to have a nice home (I try to make life as awesome as possible for my pets) and then get moved around?
- what if the foster animal just isn't working out?
Also any personal experiences you want to share would be great.