Going on a round the world trip. Am I starting out right?
December 10, 2009 6:30 PM Subscribe
[TravelFilter] I'm leaving the country next week, with no return ticket. I'll be starting off in Thailand (Bangkok), with a basic itinerary including other countries in Southeast Asia, Australia, and (eventually) Europe. I feel mostly prepared. But I'm curious as to what I'm forgetting? Your help is appreciated.
posted by sacrifix to travel & transportation (45 answers total) 23 users marked this as a favorite
I plan on being gone for at least a year, maybe more depending upon my funds. I've read the other appropriate posts on AMF, also various other blogs, guidebooks, etc. I'm feeling pretty prepared, but I get the feeling that there is something that I am forgetting but I can't quite put my finger on it. Any suggestions as to things that you forgot to do before you left, or wished you had taken care of, would be greatly appreciated. Also, any particular tips for this kind of travel are also appreciated. I apologize if this is too ChatFilter-y.
- good walking shoes
- a good backpack (packed well, only about a week's worth of clothes)
- my shots
- a decent first aid kit
- travelers checks, American dollars, Visa card, Mastercard, and 2 checking accounts
- notified all of my credit card companies and banks that I will be using their cards overseas
- a flash drive with Portable Firefox, saved passwords, photocopies of passport, social security card, credit cards, etc (any apps that you have found useful in your travels would be appreciated)
- an unlocked iPhone
I have not:
- gotten travel insurance (any suggestions on companies?)
- gotten a Thai visa (but it doesn't seem like it would really be that beneficial to get it before I get there)