An Australian iPhone in the US of A
December 2, 2009 1:30 AM Subscribe
I'm an Australian who is holidaying in the US and Canada in December -- from Sunday! I have an iPhone and I would like to know whether I can use it for 3G data while I'm there.
posted by robcorr to technology (8 answers total)
I've waded through a number of telephony and travel forums to try to piece this together myself, but they're contradictory and circumstances seem to change constantly.
Let me set out what I *think* is the simplest way to do this, and hopefully you can provide either confirmation or corrections.
1. Network unlock my phone. (Done -- restoring as we speak.)
2. Change my credit card's address to my hotel address.
3. Buy an AT&T GoPhone Pay As You Go sim pack.
4. Put the sim into a phone -- not the iPhone.
5. Visit the AT&T activation site, entering the other phone's EMEI and my hotel's address.
6. While I'm at the AT&T site, buy a $20/100MB data pack.
7. Using wifi, visit one of the sites that allows me to patch the US carrier details into my iPhone.
8. Transfer the AT&T sim to my iPhone; cross my fingers.
Is this right? Does this mean I need to buy a throwaway phone just to activate the SIM? Is there an easier way?
For instance, some people say that T-Mobile has a better prepaid data offer that doesn't require hoop-jumping to activate in the iPhone (albeit Edge rather than 3G), but others say it's no longer available.
And finally, I'll be in Canada for about a week. I won't bother trying to get a Canadian sim for such a short period, but it'd be nice to know whether the US plan will work there.
Thanking you in advance.