Coast Guard Reserves?
November 15, 2009 4:26 PM Subscribe
What are the Reserves (specifically, the Coast Guard) really like?
posted by tryniti to law & government (4 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
I am looking into the Coast Guard Reserves, and am curious if anyone has experience with military reserve programs.
I am most interested in the environmental protection and disaster relief aspects of the Coast Guard. I work as an environmental consultant in south Louisiana, and feel that being a part of the USCG Reserves will allow me to do more for my state and country and maybe gain valuable experience. Before I jump in and make an appointment with a recruiter, I thought I'd see if anyone might have some insight. I guess my main questions are:
1) What is being a reservist like (USCG specifically, but stories from any branch are also helpful)? What types of things are done on drill weekends?
2) How often are reservists called to active duty? Is there somewhere to find hard numbers on how often certain branches or divisions are called up?
3) For someone with an already-established career, what does the reserves have to offer other than extra cash?
4) I would most likely qualify for a 'straight-to-officer' type program. Any experience with these types of programs?
5) Anything else I should consider?