More MacBook Questions
November 11, 2009 8:14 PM Subscribe
I now own a MacBook Pro 17". And now I have some questions relating to MacOS and Windows 7, hardware upgrades and getting Applecare-on-the-cheap.
posted by Effigy2000 to Computers & Internet (19 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
And those questions are...
1. I've installed Windows 7 on the machine, and that's pretty much all I ever intend to run on it. Can I delete the MacOS partition to get some space back? Or is it vitally important that I keep it around?
2. Perhaps related to question 1, Apple has said they intend to properly support Windows 7 with an updated Bootcamp later this year. When this is released, will I just be able to download this from Apple via the Apple Software Update program in Windows, or will I need to go into MacOS first?
3. I really, really, really want to upgrade the hard drive. I've found a 750GB 2.5" drive I could buy, but the description on the store's website says that it's 12.5mm thick. Is that too big for a MacBook Pro 17", or will it fit?
4. I'm also interested in upgrading the CPU. Not necessarily now but someday. Is this possible? The salesperson I spoke to said no but he didn't seem positive.
5. My MacBook Pro is supposed to have two video cards, namely an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and a 9600M GT. How do I switch between the two video cards in Windows 7? I can't figure this out.
6. In my last AskMe question, it was suggested that rather than buying AppleCare from Apple, I should buy it from eBay. I checked out eBay and there were some really good prices for Applecare on there. But my question is, how did these eBayers get these AppleCare products? I had always been told that whatever Apple charged for one of its products was what Apple charged, no discounts entered into. Are the eBay Applecare’s legit, or did they fall of the back of a truck or something?
7. Finally, I'm running the computer in its native res of 1920 x 1200. While surfing the net, images on the net seem blurry somehow. It's the same for Firefox as it is for IE8 and the latest drivers are installed. Photos saved on my hard drive don't seem to be affected. Any idea what might be causing this?
Thanks in advance for your help everyone!