What segments or content should I host on my AM radio show?

Emergency guest-hosting a tiny, AM radio show..... [+]

I have one hour, uninterrupted by commercials, to do whatever I would like on the radio.
This show is on a local AM station, and has a listenership of 'round about 12 people, on a station
which has pretty left-leaning nationally syndicated shows on other times of the day
(think Democracy Now!). I can literally do whatever it is I want. I have been on this show before as
a co-host, but I am the only one this week. That said, I am wondering if anyone has suggestions as
to what kinds of blocks I might do that would be away from the usual, end-of-year drivel, New Year's
Resolutions, recounting the wackiest celeb stories of 2004, blah blah blah. In the past we have done
shows on synesthesia, the local zoo, Planned Parenthood in schools, the history of packaging and advertising,
local music and poetry, as well as local art projects. This is short notice, as I am the emergency host,
so guests might be hard to come by at this late date.
Thus....
What sort of things would you like to hear on a radio show like this?
What kind of segments have you always wanted to hear but have not yet heard?
posted by oflinkey to Media & Arts (15 answers total)

ooh, sorry about that formatting. Notepad freaked out.
posted by oflinkey at 7:13 PM on December 28, 2004

Impact of commonly believed rights on our rights? That is, guns, freedom of speech, freedom of assembly, etc. This could balloon, but you can stand into the checks if you're a good host.
posted by sled at 7:24 PM on December 28, 2004

I would discuss some of the topics here at AskMefi -- seriously. Lots of great advice, tips, and answers for all sorts of people.

And throw in some wacky, offbeat stuff from MoFi.
posted by davidmsc at 7:25 PM on December 28, 2004

My first impulse given the weather is the plight of the homeless in America. It shouldn't be too hard to round up guests (those folk who support homeless projects are always eager to talk about it. Heck, if you're willing to filter the crew, some homeless folks themselves may have some good stuff to say (phone interviews from a shelter?).
posted by robocop is bleeding at 7:26 PM on December 28, 2004

how about an hour of highlighting people doing good in the world, in all sorts of ways? some interviews, some profiles, some call-ins...
posted by amberglow at 7:38 PM on December 28, 2004

If you you wanna do that "good in the world" thing, can I do a shameless self post? And yes, I actually did some work on that.
posted by Doohickie at 8:30 PM on December 28, 2004

(Of course, maybe finding a local Habitat for Humanity organization might be more appropriate for your show.)
</poster's remorse>
posted by Doohickie at 8:31 PM on December 28, 2004

Things I'd probably try or would like to hear:

1. A piece on national (or the world's best) aquariums. Get the PR person at the aquiarium to give you some info and funny anecdotes.

2. You can get someone from csicop to speak on a piece on all the failed psychic predictions of 2004. Some of their guys are actually very good speakers and entertaining (a lot arent so be careful and do a pre-interview). This is piece more or less does itself.

3. Interview people who have won the lottery. They have the best stories in the world. It totally changes their lives and they tend to fuck up pretty hard. Might be a project you would want to put a decent amount of work into.

4. How about all these Gen-X/Y stitching groups out there? Stitch n Bitch, et al? That could be a good show. I think NPR has done this, dunno. I don't really listen that often.

5. With SpaceShipOne in the news, I would love to hear about early aviation. I know a bit of the history but a refresher would be good, especially at all the oddball attempts to fly with orinthopters, etc.

6. Please someone do a history on the human cannonball. Who did this first? What's it like? Who is doing it now?

7. I'd love to hear a piece about Wendy Carlos, sythensizer music pioneer and popularizer. I bet you could get her to speak.
posted by skallas at 8:39 PM on December 28, 2004

on the human cannonball thing, how about all the people that go over Niagara? (i see you're near there)
posted by amberglow at 9:33 PM on December 28, 2004

There's a guy who went over Niagara, no barrel, no nuthin', and lived.
posted by Doohickie at 9:49 PM on December 28, 2004

Thank you all for the ideas...I really appreciate your information and suggestions!
posted by oflinkey at 9:55 PM on December 28, 2004

Kirk Jones.
posted by ALongDecember at 10:57 PM on December 28, 2004

Sing the 99 bottles of beer song, in it's entirety
posted by pemdasi at 11:16 PM on December 28, 2004

how about something just happy? the election, the tsunami, the whatever else. do something just happy to let that lonely guy driving his truck and flipping channels be happy for an hour.

we can all stop raging for an hour.
posted by sachinag at 9:01 AM on December 29, 2004

Yeah, that's him. Thanks, ALD. I was too lazy to google him.
posted by Doohickie at 9:22 PM on December 29, 2004

« Older Inspired in part by this quest...   |  I'm a 35 year old male and am ... Newer »