Please help me set up some Access forms.
August 5, 2009 1:41 PM Subscribe
I have two questions about setting up MS Access forms:
1) Currently, I have a form to enter the volunteer id, shift start time and shift stop time, but the client doesn't want to have to look up the id in a report. Is there a way to create a selection list from the volunteer's names? What other options are there?
2) On the "add/edit a volunteer" form, I'd like to be able to choose tasks from a selection list. The tasks table has id and name. The "tasks of volunteers" join table has volunteer id and task id. How do I set this up? I can't seem to get the right combination of configurations.
1) The shifts table only has those three fields, and I don't want to make the volunteer's name a primary key.
2) I don't want to resort to adding the booleans TaskSort, TaskPrep, ..., to the volunteers table, since that's not how databases are supposed to be set up. When I try to use a select query, I get "SELECT ..." as one of my options.
* It's Access version 2003.
* I'm just using standard forms (ie. not "Pages").
* I'm pretty sure I've created the tables in a "best practices" way, but since I'm creating this database from scratch, I can create anything however I want.
* I think I know about database theory pretty well, and that's not what this question is about.
* But, I'm new to Access, so it's likely I'm missing something easy.