Is there redemption after data-roaming?
June 7, 2009 12:40 PM Subscribe
I made a terrible mistake and racked up a big cell phone bill while roaming internationally (iphone - data roaming!). What should I do? Can I negotiate this down somehow?
posted by anonymous to technology (20 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I have an iphone. I keep international data roaming turned off by default. HOwever, while travelling to the US I have occasionally turned it on for a few minutes to check my email (i.e. just text). This has never resulted in anything truly disastrous, basically it's an extra $100 on my bill.
So last month while travelling in Europe, I also turned on the data roaming for a few minutes at a time. Some email checking, one google maps lookup, and one picture (from iphone cam, so low-res I assume) upload.
I started to worry a few days ago after seeing this question: http://ask.metafilter.com/123922/30000-per-gig-Really Sure enough, I just got my bill.My bill is ~$500 and I'm pretty freaked out.
I would like to call, apologize profusely and try to get them to lower the bill. Is this possible? What are my chances of success. Have you done it? What's my best bet for strategies?
1) I'm in Canada. My provider is Fido.
2) I'm set to auto-pay by credit card in 2 weeks. So I assume if they say no, they're just going to bill me.
3) I've been a customer for about 5 years, and always paid on time.
4) There is a data-roaming plan (which I don't have) which would have made this cheaper. Could I maybe say "Can I pay what I would have paid with that plan"? Would that work?
5) I do understand that this is completely my fault. I don't intend to do this again and keep negotiating it down. Believe me, this is that last time my iphone leaves the country!
6) I would be happy to talk this down to $150ish.
7) If I absolutely can't talk it down, I would like to have them distribute the costs over 4 months or something. Possible?
Anon because I don't want my friends to know I'm a total idiot who doesn't have the good sense to take their advice and leave the data roaming off.