I can haz GBLT Sandwizh Apartmentz?
May 11, 2009 8:52 PM Subscribe
What does GLBT friendly mean in the context of roomate ads?
Many ads for cool apartments say "GLBT Friendly". I know what the acronym stands for but I'm wondering what specifically that means.
In my own case, I
1) Fully support and 2 human's right to get married, have health benefits, etc.
2) Feel that homosexuality is a natural situation and not a sin.
3) Erm...have a very good gay friend! I mean, some of my best friends are gay. Well, one of them, anyway. Very happy for him and his partner. However, he's generally critical of the gay scene and works as a mechanic. I don't know.
on the other hand, to be quite frank:
1) I've had a hard time in my life making friends with many (but definitely not all) of the lesbians I've known.
2) Not particularly interested in listening to someone's personal sexual history. Straight or gay. Unless I am, when I'd probably ask. But it's not something I necessarily want to be forced to talk about.
3) As a fairly solitary and contemplative person, I'm generally put off by flamboyant behavior in general.
So I'm wondering, do I qualify as GLBT friendly? The thing is, I'm not sure I'm straight friendly, or particularly friendly in general. I guess I see people as individuals. I'm hesitant to declare myself GLBT friendly because I feel like there are aspects of the culture as I see it that annoy me. Not really different than how aspects of straight culture annoy me. But I don't have to say I'm "straight friendly" to find a roomate.
Thanks for your thoughts here. I end up thinking about this a lot. I apologize in advance if in asking the question I've raised anyone's hackles. I'm seriously interested in the answer.