Other good gaming laptops under $1000?
April 8, 2009 8:14 AM Subscribe
Under $1000 laptop: I have my eye on a particular model; am I missing any others in my research?
I'm finally replacing a Dell desktop that is truly too slow, noisy, etc. I've been doing the research and I like this model: MSI GX620-001US
Things I like about it / criteria:
- It's within my $1000 budget
- Decent graphics card so I can use it as a gaming system
- Has a fairly trim/thin body
- Plain/not overly colorful or curvy body. I love those Lenovo laptops for the same reason; they're minimalist and not flashy. (I don't think Lenovo has gaming capable lappies, though, at least not in my price range.)
- Decent reputation/reviews overall. Second-best rating on NewEgg.
- 15.4" screen size is perfect for me. I need to fit it side-by-side on a table at home that holds a big monitor (I'll be using both displays at once with VGA out) as well as have enough useable screen space for doing stuff like Ableton Live on the go.
I've looked at Dells. They're thicker and more expensive than the MSI on a specs basis. Buuut... they do have that nice LED backlighting.
I took a serious look at Apple stuff. That aluminum unibody is hot. But paying an extra $150 for a even refurb 13" screen model, and getting used to new UI and programs (I'm used to Windows)... meh.
Are there any stores and/or particular laptop models that I'm overlooking that fit my criteria?
I've heard Sager notebooks can be good, I and found I could get a $900 model that has a bigger battery but slower processor compared to the MSI. But there aren't a ton of reviews out there on Sagers, so that plus the slower CPU makes me want to pass.