Moving to Boston in August!
March 28, 2009 4:35 PM Subscribe
Help me find an apartment in Boston!
posted by nasreddin to Home & Garden (16 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
I'm starting graduate school at Harvard this fall, so I need to figure out how to swing this moving thing. I currently live in Brooklyn, so I'm not unused to ridiculous rents and sketchy neighborhoods.
What I'm looking for:
- A studio with a separate kitchen or a 1-bedroom.
- Up to $1200 a month.
- Laundromat and grocery store within walking distance.
- Walking (<20 minutes?) or reasonable T (<45 minutes?) distance to Harvard. I don't have a car or a driver's license.
- A coffeeshop would be nice, but I don't really care about any of the normal hip-white-person amenities (yoga, ethnic food, or whatever).
- Don't care too much about crime either, though obviously less is better. I'm quite flexible as far as neighborhood culture is concerned.
1. Is this doable? I am thinking of living in Somerville or Cambridge, if I can afford it, but I wouldn't mind living in Boston proper or elsewhere as long as the commuting distance is reasonable. What areas would you recommend? I'm trying to avoid Allston, since I've heard it's a fratboy mecca.
2. I'm hoping to move in on August 15th. Is that going to be possible? Would the peak-day of September 1st be better, or should I try for August 1st instead? (If I moved in August 1st, I'd be losing a $500 paycheck, so the advantages need to be substantial.)
3. Looking on Craigslist, I find a lot of apartments in Victorian wooden frame houses. I keep having visions of being forced to tiptoe past someone else's slumber parties and family dinners as I climb to my garret. Are those places designed for multi-family living? Would I be doing myself a disservice if I tried for a brick apartment building instead?
4. I can probably carve out a few days to visit and look at places sometime over the next few months. When would be the best time to do so?
5. Am I better off sticking with Craigslist as a source for listings or do I need to find brokers and stuff?
Any tips you might have are appreciated! (I did read the other questions in this vein, and they were quite helpful.)