I just ate accidentally ate some cheese with pink bacteria growing on it, will I get sick?
March 23, 2009 2:53 PM Subscribe
I ate some cheddar cheese with a pink bacterial plaque growing on it, could this be something that'll make me sick?
posted by CTORourke to Food & Drink (18 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
I cut up some cheese for my lunch, some of it having been in my fridge for awhile. I was munching on the cheddar when I noticed it had a bit more smell than usual. I looked closely and saw some pink bacterial plaques growing on the surface.
I'm a biologist, but not a microbiologist, and I know that sometimes the e.coli and other crazy bacterias (we grow for the Introductory Biology lab I teach) can be pink. I also know that not all bacteria is toxic, not even all e.coli bacteria, but the fridge at my apartment has never been cleaned out properly and I know some weird stuff has been in there over the years.
Does anyone think it might be just an outgrowth of the normal lactic acid bacteria of the cheese? The bag the cheese was in was a little damp, which probably encouraged the growth. I threw the rest away.
If it is a bad bacteria, how long would it take for me to start getting sick?