Can this moonshine be saved?
March 12, 2009 8:56 AM Subscribe
Is my moonshine safe to drink?
posted by Shoggoth to Food & Drink (27 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
While renting a house in Appalachia recently, I bought a quart of moonshine in a mason jar from one of the local neighbors. This is what I know:
- The neighbor ("Bob") claims he bought it from a friend who has made it for years from corn.
- Bob had clearly been sampling his product when he came by, and I watched him drink more.
- Not knowing anything about moonshine, I drank a 2 oz. shot. It tasted great -- sweet and smooth.
- A few of my friends also had shots with no ill effects. One of my friends drank 3 shots.
- After the initial sampling, Bob left to get more to sell, so the quart I bought is unsampled. It looks and smells identical to what I sampled, however.
So after all this, a friend explained how moonshine can blind and kill you. Yikes! I had no idea. So should I drink this stuff or use it to clean drains?