I"m looking for a winter aerobic activity to keep my fitness level up for mountain biking. Cross country skiing is one of them. What should I buy and how hard is it going to be to learn?
A few data points:
- I'm pretty aerobically fit
- I'm a good snowboarder but have never been on a pair of skis in my life
- I already snowshoe, but one of my favorite trail systems is XC ski only. Also, XC skiing is supposed to be better for maintaining cycling muscle groups.
- I like to explore the backwoods
- Most of the trails I would use are not groomed and quite often will not be broken. There are a few Nordic centres around here with groomed trails which it would be nice to use now and then but probably only once or twice a season.
- I already have the right clothing... it's the skis, boots and techniques that I'm concerned about.
- I'll probably take a couple of lessons at a local Nordic center first... I'm looking for your advice in addition to theirs!
NB This previous question
answered a few questions but not in much detail.