How many part-time classes should I start with while still working full-time?
October 20, 2008 6:46 PM Subscribe
GoingBackToSchoolFilter: I'm going to be returning to university part time, while continuing to work full time. Should I start slow, just one course my first semester, or should I do two?
posted by smitt to education (16 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite
Let's do this point form:
* I'm working fairly standard hours, 9am-6pm Monday through Friday.
* My job is such that I'm not allowed to bring my work home with me, so I never have to worry about making time to get things finished outside work.
* I am not currently occupied with any other major past-times or activities, nor do I have any kids.
* I previously attended the same University, studying English. I am planning on returning to complete my studies (I previously completed half of the degree).
* Each weekly course is 3 hrs.
* Travel time from my home to the University is currently about 1hr each way. I will be taking courses than usually run 7-10pm, possibly weekend classes will be available.
* I have been out of the program since 2003. I completed a community college program in the following 3 yrs, which I finished in the spring of 2007. I have not been in school since then.
I've been told by various people that I should start with just one course, and see how I feel. But, I do still have a lot of classes to complete, and feel like two might be fine. Should I play it safe, start with one course this first semester, or just dive in and take two?
I know this is a very "personal opinion" sort of thing, and there's no definite answer. I'd just like to hear some experiences from any MeFi-ites who've returned to school while working full time, or are doing it now. How many classes do you take while working full time, what sort of balance do you work towards?