Ready to go POTS-less. Need good voicemail.
September 2, 2008 1:14 PM Subscribe
I'm looking for a good personal voicemail service that can replace a home phone number.
posted by dammitjim to technology (8 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
I want to avoid having a regular landline, using my cellphone for all calls, but I don't want to give out my cellphone number to credit card companies, etc. However, I do want to selectively allow those types of parties (Doctor's offices, etc.) to reach me, since sometimes they won't leave messages for privacy reasons.
Here's what I'd like my dream voicemail service to do:
- Have local numbers, in multiple locales, so I can have two numbers in two different cities go to the same service
- Take messages for me, and send me a text message or email that I've received a message
- Autodetect and receive faxes
- Have a web interface (or something) that allows me to select a whitelist of numbers that I'll allow to forward to my cell phone
- And for extra credit, allow me to dial into the service to place outbound calls, so I can "appear as" my voicemail number when contacting one of these institutions, for purposes of activating credit cards or whatever
The whitelist feature is the one that I'm unable to find while looking at the websites of various vendors. Any help? Any comments like "I wanted this too until I tried it and discovered that it actually sucks"? Those are good too.