2 power sources?

I just got a new computer, and the speaker cord has me curious.

It looks like any other I've ever had, but there is a USB connector split off from the regular jack right at the end. Do I choose one or the other, or do I plug them both in? In either event, I have no audio at present. Mahalo in advance.
posted by scottymac to Computers & Internet (10 answers total)

Model number and maker would be helpful. Photos are always good too.
posted by jeffamaphone at 3:44 PM on July 27, 2008

You should be able to plug in the regular (1/8" stereo mini) plug to get your sound. The USB cord might be to let you control some computer feature with a knob or other input on the speakers. It might also be for a power supply. Do the speakers have their own AC adaptor? If not, that's probably it.
posted by echo target at 3:47 PM on July 27, 2008

It may be for powering the speakers. Can you be more specific about what wires you have exactly, and what's plugged in to where, as well as what the ends look like. Specifically with the USB, does that end look just like the USB cord on a mouse or keyboard, or is it the small kind like you'd plug into a camera?
posted by odinsdream at 3:47 PM on July 27, 2008

Instead of plugging the speaker into a wall for power, it draws power from the USB jack.
posted by rancidchickn at 3:47 PM on July 27, 2008

It's a Gateway DX442B, and the speakers identify themselves as sigma tel high definition codec. It is the same type USB connector as the mouse and printer, and the familiar green color coded speaker jack.
posted by scottymac at 4:02 PM on July 27, 2008

Ok pretty much two options then: either the speakers have a set of female USB ports and it's supposed to be a convenience feature, i.e., speakers combined with a USB hub, or it's for powering the speakers from the USB 5V. Given that your speakers aren't working, I'd guess power is more likely. Plug it in to a powered USB port and see if that fixes it.
posted by odinsdream at 4:14 PM on July 27, 2008

It's for power. At work when we install new speakers, they're this type. it saves you from having a power brick hanging off your surge protector.
posted by joshrholloway at 4:17 PM on July 27, 2008

the speakers identify themselves as sigma tel high definition codec

No, that's the audio card in your computer.
posted by kindall at 4:24 PM on July 27, 2008

Yep.. Gateway's website says "USB Speakers"... so I'd be willing to bet quite a bit of money that the USB connector is for POWER...

You'll need to have BOTH the green 1/8inch audio jack plugged in.. as well as the USB connector in order to hear sound.
posted by jmnugent at 5:17 PM on July 27, 2008

Thank you all, it works now.
posted by scottymac at 9:20 PM on July 27, 2008

« Older How to help a friend in need?   |   Year old Macbook running extra hot/battery... Newer »