Eames chair question
July 21, 2008 3:38 PM   Subscribe

I bought a vintage Eames fiberglass shell on eBay not realizing it had the wide mounts. Is it possible to move the mounts to fit a narrow base without harming the chair?
posted by Zebtron to Home & Garden (3 answers total)
Do you have any wood shop skills/equipment?

I had a very difficult car problem of a similar vain a year or so ago.... i just paid a local welding shop to create an adapter mount out of sheet metal. I paid about $200 for the work and $150 for the more common part, but it saved me about $600 on the original part.

So, taking that idea, maybe you could create a simple adapter piece out of hard wood?
posted by door2summer at 6:38 PM on July 21, 2008

not sure what it looks like, but a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to the larger size and drilled for the smaller size, with appropriate T-nuts or nuts and washers, would be cheap and easy to make if you have rudimentary skills.

i guess seconding what door2summer says, on refresh.
posted by KenManiac at 7:00 PM on July 21, 2008

You could try contacting Herman Miller and see what they have to say. It will be the most conservative answer, but if they say it is OK then I think you can rest assured.
posted by caddis at 7:41 AM on July 22, 2008

« Older Are people getting tattooed more?   |   Your victories and woes as a unix/linux sysadmin Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.