Fat and Tall Guy Pants
August 26, 2004 4:13 PM   Subscribe

Fat-tall-guy-filter: I can't keep my pants on. [the more, it is inside]

Specifically, I have that embarassing tall-guy pot belly. So I either cinch up my pants so that I can barely breath, or they start sliding downwards and I look like a weak imitation of someone trying to be a hip-hop star. I lost five lbs (my wife quit buying cheese) so it is worse.

The obvious solution would be to buy new pants, but due to the pear shaped nature of my torso, I am afraid that wouldn't help much.

The spouse has told me that suspenders are not an option.

So, do I need to just get my clothes tailored a little, or am I doomed to a life of expand-o-matic elastic waist dockers (heellooooo midlife crisis) for the rest of my life?

Thin people are not allowed to respond to this thread, unless they were fat at one time.
posted by mecran01 to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (15 answers total)
The only thing I ever found to work was to lose the waist fat and buy clothes that fit better. I am interested to know what other suggest since I am fighting the battle again after a weight gain.
posted by karmaville at 4:22 PM on August 26, 2004

I'm fat and tall, and I find that non-pleated pants stay up way better than pleated ones. I'm partial to the J. Crew flat front chinos, myself.
posted by willpie at 4:39 PM on August 26, 2004

Suspenders look very good on men, though I would recommend the old fashioned buttoned style as more elegant.
posted by jb at 4:41 PM on August 26, 2004

I would recommend the old fashioned buttoned style as more elegant.
Don't they call them "straps"?
posted by thomcatspike at 4:49 PM on August 26, 2004

A belt?
posted by Yelling At Nothing at 6:05 PM on August 26, 2004

As somebody who has struggled with this problem into middle age, let me tell you there's no easy answer.

What works for me is to keep on trying on trousers until I find a pair that fit right. This doesn't always equate to the most expensive clothes, either. I've found that Wrangler loose fit jeans and Target pleated chinos work well for me. Dockers, however, don't. Of course YMMV.

If you don't have the patience for shopping or to drop more weight, your best bet will be to take a too-loose pair to the tailor. Once altered, they'll look and feel better than anything you can buy off the rack. Oh, and while suspenders (I've heard them referred to as braces) will work to help droopy drawers, IMO they only look good with a suit.

I should point out that for me "the problem" has never only been overweight-related. When I was thin and in my 20s, they called me snake hips and I'd always be hitchin' up the britches. Indeed, I am a tall white man with no ass.
posted by SteveInMaine at 6:07 PM on August 26, 2004

Response by poster: A belt?

"cinching up my pants so I can barely breath" was a reference to wearing a belt.


Yes, I too lack buttocks. In combination with the belly, I am doomed. Perhaps braces worn under a loose shirt, and much shopping. Thanks, all.
posted by mecran01 at 6:29 PM on August 26, 2004

My main quasi-solution has been to wear outfits that do not involve tucked-in shirts, at least not on the outermost layer. Blazers, jackets, stylish untucked dress shirts.
posted by bingo at 7:41 PM on August 26, 2004

37 waist, 29 inseam here. All my pants were once buried treasure at Sears and Filene's. Yarr.

I have found that L.L. Bean is great for odd sizes, especially their jeans. In the meantime, get the right belt (you need one that fits at the middle hole) and dress up rather than down. Business casual is great for jocks, but for me it's awkward. I can't do the khaki-dance like a physically fit person can. Choose slacks - ones that can be tailored - and dress shirts that leave enough room at the neck so that there can be a nice loose fit around the chest.
posted by PrinceValium at 7:58 PM on August 26, 2004

Funny, I've usually found that tucked-in shirts help because the shirts make the pants slide less than skin.

Personally, I adore elastic bands in my tousers, and also wear belts with elastic. But I'm large and a 'bit bloated' can mean very uncomfortable with no give in the waist. But I am not too terribly fashion conscious, yet also wear untucked shirts if the elastic waist isn't hidden by a belt (when the elastic is in pants in which it looks bad, like jeans).

Truth is, I was never as comfortable as when wearing suspenders or bib overalls (70's fashion).
posted by Goofyy at 9:15 PM on August 26, 2004

Bib overalls! Yes, I had them, too. I think my circle of friends alone kept Osh Kosh b'gosh in business back in the day. Can't wait until they come back in style I'll be all over 'em.
posted by SteveInMaine at 2:58 AM on August 27, 2004

Hmm... don't know if this exists or not, but it just came to mind:

Take the buttons on your pants that are there for braces, and put slits into your shirts. Let the (tucked in) shirt act as a pair of braces for you... Still use a belt to avoid putting all the stress on the shirt.

Make sense?
posted by NotMyselfRightNow at 6:13 AM on August 27, 2004

40/34 here. Tucked-in undershirts work for me.
posted by MrMoonPie at 8:48 AM on August 27, 2004

Response by poster: 42 waist, 36 length. I too miss my oshkosh overalls.

Kevin Kelly's http://kk.org cool tools has links to some industrial suspenders and brass buttons you install with a hammer. Looked interesting, except that they only came in blue and red.
posted by mecran01 at 10:39 AM on August 27, 2004

Don't they call them "straps"?
woops... braces
posted by thomcatspike at 3:40 PM on August 27, 2004

« Older I'd like advice on building an exposure unit, and...   |   Why are the Halloween episodes of The Simpsons so... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.