This is a bad idea, right?
July 9, 2008 10:59 AM   Subscribe

What are the health risks of moldy pot? Would such a substance be safe to smoke?
posted by furiousxgeorge to Health & Fitness (18 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
 
Have you tried google?
posted by stereo at 11:14 AM on July 9, 2008


no no no no no! mold likes to grow in dark, wet environments... like your lungs.

sure it might not do anything to you. but why risk it?
posted by emptyinside at 11:17 AM on July 9, 2008


No.

Make brownies.

(Note: some kinds of fungus MAY be poison)
posted by shownomercy at 11:20 AM on July 9, 2008


Good lord, is this even a real question? For heaven's sake NO! It's rotting! Do you eat green fuzzy meat? Get some new weed.
posted by elendil71 at 11:23 AM on July 9, 2008


Yes it is a bad idea. Some mold makes lungs unhappy when inhaled. Really unhappy. Do you have that sort of mold on your pot? Who knows?
posted by mandymanwasregistered at 11:29 AM on July 9, 2008


Next time, put your weed in something airtight in the fridge, yo.
posted by Ambrosia Voyeur at 11:39 AM on July 9, 2008


google says, if you're desperate (or it's a ton of moldy buds) that drying it out on a baking sheet / warming it in the oven if you're impatient seems to help. It sounds like if you dry it out, you kill the mold, so it's less likely to taste nasty etc.
posted by judge.mentok.the.mindtaker at 11:42 AM on July 9, 2008


When I was a kid, lo those long years ago, we used to bury pot to make it moldy, because someone had told us that it made pot better. (Urban legend, before snopes, plus we were stoned kids anyways, and dumb.) We did smoke the stuff, I didn't die; whether it made the pot better or not I surely don't know, it couldn't have made it worse -- we didn't have all this good pot like you lucky kids of today. Your call.
posted by dancestoblue at 11:43 AM on July 9, 2008


What judge.mentok.the.mindtaker said. Remove it from whatever environment made the mold (and never store stuff there again) and let it dry. It'll be fine.
posted by danOstuporStar at 12:14 PM on July 9, 2008


I didn't die, as one bit of anecdotal data. Smoke a little bit and see. In my experience you need to heat it a bit to dry it out or it will be difficult to get you doobie to stay lit. A pipe might be better for this particular application.
posted by Meatbomb at 12:18 PM on July 9, 2008


And a vaporizer would even be better.
posted by danOstuporStar at 12:24 PM on July 9, 2008


It'll be fine. It'll dry sufficiently once you set it on fire.
posted by electroboy at 1:01 PM on July 9, 2008 [1 favorite]


I'd say the decision should depend on the quality of the pot. If it's moldy schwag, ditch it. If it was funky once-upon-a-time, give it a trial run.
posted by solipsophistocracy at 1:30 PM on July 9, 2008


I've smoked moldy pot before with no discernible ill effects.
posted by number9dream at 1:51 PM on July 9, 2008


I knew a guy once who had an awesome scar running pretty much the length of his back. I suppose he could've been lying, but the story he told was that he had, at one point, smoked some horrible moldy weed and come down with a serious fungal infection in one of his lungs, requiring fairly significant surgery. Suppose he could've been lying, but I don't know why he would've. I believed him at the time, and believe it to this day. So hey, no, don't smoke the moldy oldie.
posted by mumkin at 2:34 PM on July 9, 2008


Don't do it.

If you really want to get it into your body, cook it down into some oil or butter and make brownies. Inhaling mold is not a good idea. It might not hurt you, but I don't think it warrants the risk.
posted by gnutron at 4:35 PM on July 9, 2008


It sounds like if you dry it out, you kill the mold, so it's less likely to taste nasty etc.

The taste shouldn't be your biggest concern. Whether the mold is alive shouldn't be your biggest concern. Here's what your biggest concern should be: Has the mold created any toxins in the course of living?

Those definitely could kill you—and unless you're a biochemist, you probably don't have a readily accessible way of testing for them.

Get some new stuff.
posted by limeonaire at 6:21 PM on July 9, 2008


Make brownies.

If you really want to get it into your body, cook it down into some oil or butter and make brownies.


Oh jesus christ 1000 times no. This is the one thing you shouldn't do. Eating moldy weed can make you very very very sick. Do you really want to take that chance?

Just throw that shit away. It's only pot. It's a renewable resource. You can always buy more.
posted by Afroblanco at 11:20 PM on July 9, 2008


« Older So, where do I go from here?   |   Where can I buy brioches in America? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.